Monday, October 4, 2010

Appointment

This morning Robby and I went to my doctor's appointment. Our doctor was pretty straight forward and said at this point, we need to take a look inside my abdomen. There is a lot of evidence that I have endometriosis, but to know to what extent, a laparoscopy needs to be done. It was pretty interesting hearing the doctor explain how endometriosis causes infertility, and it's more than just making it difficult for an embryo to implant (like I previously thought). Women with endometriosis actually may produce low-quality eggs. Also, the endometriomas may release toxins, which would make an egg -- fertilized or not -- unable to make it. And of course all of the cysts just make a very negative environment for fertilization and implantation to take place.

Right now we have the surgery scheduled for next Monday, but there's a chance that may change. (Remember, we're still dealing with a change of insurance.) The good news is that it isn't considered an infertility procedure, so insurance should cover it as a normal outpatient surgery.

I feel mixed emotions. I guess I'm glad to take a different path that seems to offer more answers, but at the same time, it's discouraging and a little scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment