Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A New Step

As I mentioned briefly, Robby and I are going to have an IUI (intra-uterine insemination) done. Although this does fall under the umbrella of artificial insemination (AI), and although AI is a very frightening term, this procedure is actually more routine than it sounds. All it means is that sperm is washed and, using a catheter, placed directly into the woman's uterus. It's the next logical step for us, and truly the next spiritual step, as well. Perhaps a year ago doing something like this would have meant I was putting more faith in science than in God, but I don't feel that way at all now. Now, more than I ever, I realize that technology is still fully under God's control. It is still God who allows new life to come. My prayer right now is that God grants this for us, that God works the miracle for us to have a baby.

Let me tell you what this will entail for us. First, I have been taking Clomid toward the beginning of my cycles. Clomid is a medication that increases follicle development. Mature follicles are what turn into cysts that release eggs each month. Typically, women have one egg released each month, so they usually have one, maybe two follicles. Clomid makes more, so it makes it more likely that one of them will produce a mature egg during ovulation. It does follow that the chance of multiples are increased from using Clomid. (And I say to that, the more the merrier!)

After I finish my round of Clomid, I go in each month for an ultrasound. This is where they see and measure the follicles I have. At my appointment today, I had four follicles ranging from 14 to 15 mm, which is still relatively small. They usually have me wait a few days, and then I give myself an Ovidrel injection. (Seriously, I have to give myself a shot! It's crazy.) This triggers ovulation to occur exactly 36 hours later. I am scheduled to give myself my Ovidrel injection on Saturday.

This has been where our routine has pretty much ended each month. Besides taken estrogen and progesterone, we left the rest of it up to ourselves. Now, we're ready to take a new step. We both feel at peace about the decision to have this procedure, and we know that no matter what, God is with us and God has a purpose for our life.

We appreciate your prayers with us, and we look forward to sharing the news with you, whatever it might be.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you sharing! We're praying for you guys, can't wait to read the updates, although if it works that would make this blog rather short lived :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The immediate purpose of the blog may be short lived, but the journey does not end.

    ReplyDelete